Telemedicine Services at Premier Podiatry & Orthopedics
An out-of-office appointment over video
We know it can be challenging at times to come in for an appointment. The current COVID-19 pandemic has certainly shown how unexpected events can throw a wrench into best-laid plans.
At the same time, however, it is important that you find the relief and treatment you need. And if that can be achieved without you having to leave home, we’re happy to accommodate you!
Our telemedicine services are a way for you to stay on top of managing your care when you are unable to (or don’t necessarily need to) come to our office:
Whether you’re constrained by illness, stay-at-home-orders, lack of reliable transportation, scheduling conflicts, caretaking needs or really any other reason, a telemedicine appointment can be an effective alternative.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine is when we use videoconferencing to meet with you, instead of an in-person office visit.
It allows us to perform a remote visual inspection of your foot, ankle, or other necessary areas, communicate directly with you, and answer your questions – all while you remain in the comfort of your own home.
There are a variety of specific telemedicine tools and technologies. At Premier Podiatry & Orthopedics, we use Doxy.me. We’re particularly fond of it because it doesn’t make you download apps or sign up for accounts! Here is how it works:
- You contact us to schedule a telemedicine appointment. We may ask you a few questions at this time to determine whether telemedicine really would be effective for you, or if you have needs that definitely require in-office treatment instead.
- If a telemedicine appointment works for you, we will schedule a time, then send you a link to our virtual waiting room via email or text.
- When it’s time for the appointment, click the link on the device you wish to use for the call. Enter your name on the screen and click the “Check In” button.
- The doctor will be notified that you have arrived, and the call will begin when we are ready to see you.
That’s pretty much all there is to it! Odds are very high you already have everything you need, but a full list of requirements is below, just in case.
Is telemedicine right for you?
Appointment types that work very well for a virtual consult include:
- Initial inspections or second opinions. Our doctors can provide a visual examination over video. They can then give you a diagnosis and/or their recommendations on the next steps you should take.
- Check-up appointments. We can examine how a wound is healing or discuss how an ongoing treatment is progressing.
- Questions and advice. Have a question about your health care and want answers from a real medical professional? Telemedicine is by far the easiest way to do it.
If you expect your appointment would be quick (30 minutes or less) and would not require any direct treatment, odds are likely that telemedicine would be perfect for it. If you are unsure, please don’t hesitate to call our office and ask!
What do you need for your appointment?
Before scheduling your telemedicine appointment, please ensure that you have or will have:
- A device capable of making and receiving video calls, such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer with a webcam and microphone.
- A stable, reliable internet connection for your device.
- A private, quiet, and well-lit location to take the call.
- A web browser supported by Doxy.me. This currently includes Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari. Microsoft web browsers are unfortunately not supported, but most devices either already come with one of the supported browsers. If not, they can be downloaded for free.
We also encourage you to have a trusted family member or friend present with you during the appointment. They can provide some very helpful camera control, or take notes as needed.
Is telemedicine covered by insurance?
While telemedicine services have been increasingly covered by insurance companies, the answer depends on your specific provider and plan. Please contact your provider for the most up-to-date information on how telemedicine is currently covered under your policy.
How can you request your telemedicine appointment?
If you’re ready to request your telemedicine appointment with us, please complete the form on this page.
A member of our office will follow up with you during our regular office hours to schedule your appointment, make sure you have everything you need, and answer any questions you may have.
If you’d prefer, you can also reach out to us directly by phone at (916) 961-3434.
We look forward to serving you—wherever you happen to be!
Looking to schedule an appointment with a physician?
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm