Dr. Stephen Franzino has an extensive history in sports medicine, and brings his expertise in treating a wide variety of conditions to the patients of Premier Podiatry & Orthopedics. He is board-certified in orthopedics and sports medicine by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. Franzino began his higher education at the University of Southern California (USC), earning a bachelor’s of science in biology in 1982. He then served as a research scientist at the USC School of Medicine from 1982 – 1986. He graduated from the medical school with highest distinction, having been on the Dean’s List from 1987 – 1991, and a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society.
Following graduation, Dr. Franzino served an orthopedic residency at LAC+USC Medical Center from 1991 – 1996.
Dr. Franzino has an impressive record serving the treatment and recovery needs of collegiate and professional sports teams. During his fellowship, he provided care for the Oakland Raiders, San Jose Sharks, San Jose SaberCats, San Francisco Giants, and USA Rugby teams. Additional sports credentials include:
- San Jose Sharks, Assistant Team Physician, 2003-2015
- PGA, Event Physician, 2017-2019
- Napa Silverado Baseball Team Instructional League, Team Physician, 2018
- Prolific Prep Elite Basketball Academy, Team Physician, 2015-2020
- Pacific Union College, Team Physician, 2003-2018
- Napa Valley College, Team Physician, 2003-2018
- San Jose SaberCats, Assistant Team Physician, 2003-2011
- San Jose Stealth, Assistant Team Physician, 2004-2008
- International MotoGP Laguna Seca, Chief Medical Officer 2005-2010
Dr. Franzino is a member of the National Hockey League Team Physicians Society, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS), Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) national medical honor society, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), International Cartilage Regeneration & Joint Preservation Society (ICRS), and COA.